Apprentice Water Dog (AWD)
The Apprentice Water Dog is the first titling level. Like the higher levels, there are 5 exercises. You do not need to take or pass the Junior level test to be eligible to take the Apprentice level test.
As in Junior, the handler must wear a US Coast Guard approved life vest, and closed toe shoes.
The dog must wear a harness. You will need a dummy, an object for the underwater retrieve*, and a 10' floating line.
* The test rules give you a choice of three articles for the underwater retrieve. We recommend the 3-handle toy because there isn't any danger that it won't be approved for use during the test. The other two options are a weighted wiffle ball or a bait bucket.
The Apprentice exercises are:
• Underwater retrieve
• Retrieve dummy from shore (60')
• Dummy carry to handler near the boat, boat ride, and recall to handler.
• Retrieve floating line from shore.
• Measured time and distance swim. Swim out to the 60' marker at least once and continue swimming for 2 minutes.